Why Use A Doula?
Doulas are educated and experienced in childbirth and the postpartum period. We are prepared to provide physical (non-medical), emotional and informational support to women and their partners during labor and birth. The pressure on your partner is decreased and he or she can participate at his or her comfort level.
When a doula is present during and after childbirth, women report greater satisfaction with their birth experience, have fewer cesarean birth's, less medical intervention, and less postpartum depression.
Studies have shown that babies born with doulas present tend to have shorter hospital stays, breastfeed more easily and have moms that are much happier during the postpartum period.
Clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth:
* Tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications.
* Reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience.
* Reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum
extraction and cesarean births.
* Reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or an epidural.
Research shows parents who receive support can:
* Feel more hopeful and optimistic.
* Are more successful in adapting to a new family environment.
* Have greater success with breastfeeding.
* Have greater self-confidence, and have less postpartum depression.